Position Title: Health Unit Registered Nurse, FSN-08 (ERR*)
Location: Lagos – U.S. Consulate General
Work Hours: Full Time; 40 hours/week
Salary: OR – Ordinarily Resident– $34,930 Position Grade: FSN-08, ERR*
Basic Function of the Position:
The incumbent assesses outpatient medical problems of direct hire Embassy staff and dependents, some emergency on-the-job injuries of the FSN staff, and dispenses medications under the Regional Medical Officer (RMO) direction. In the RMO’s absence incumbent triages medical problems, managing minor illnesses, referring more serious illness to local medical practitioner and monitoring their status. The nurse actively maintains current emergency supplies for pandemic influenza and other health emergencies. Incumbent is an active instructor in emergency training programs for the mission.
- Must have graduated from a professional nursing school with a current unrestricted Registered Nurse license from the U.S.A., Puerto Rico, Western European equivalent or B.Sc. Nursing degree is required.
- At least two (2) years of professional nurse experience in a medium size hospital and active involvement in health promotion activities such as smoking cessation, weight reduction, well child anticipatory guidance, emergency first aid, prenatal classes, community emergency response, CPR, safe food services, health lifestyle, and HIV protection is required.
- Level IV English language ability (Fluent) Speaking/Reading is required.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and client-oriented disposition and familiarity with the American Nursing standards of care.
- Must be able to perform basic nursing functions such as obtaining vital signs, histories and making assessments.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel applications.
When equally qualified, Eligible Family Members and U.S. Veterans will be given preference. Therefore it is essential that the candidate address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria:
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold a FMA appointment are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of the employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personnel Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Current employees who are qualified will be given preference.
- Only successful applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be notified.
Application Closing Date:
19th November, 2012
How to Apply:
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment Form (DS-174) or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus
- Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
Embassy of the United States of America
Human Resources Office
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area
Point of Contact:
Tel: 09-461-4000 Ext 4274
Note: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered.bookmark it, RSS feed.