IITA Nigeria is recruiting for the position of a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, who will aid in Developing a Monitoring & Evaluation framework for the institute. A key aspect of the M&E framework should be gender sensitivity/mainstreaming .
Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist (Ref: DDG-R4D/MES/01/13)
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist.
IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
IITA conducts all its research in the framework of the CGIAR Research Programs (CRPs) and operates through four regional hubs, based in West, East, Southern and Central Africa. To align with the CGIAR and to further ensure delivery of high-quality science and effective use of resources, IITA will move towards a results-based performance management system. We are thus looking for a suitably qualified, dynamic and enthusiastic person to fill the position of Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist to lead this activity for the institute.
The M&E Specialist will be responsible for institute-wide M&E function and activity, focusing on key performance indicators (KPIs) at the hub, CRP and institute level, and provide strategic support to IITA management. The M&E Specialist will report directly to IITA’s Deputy Director General (DDG) R4D and coordinate activities of M&E experts in other divisions and in projects.
The primary responsibilities of the M&E Specialist will include:
- Develop a Monitoring & Evaluation framework for the institute. A key aspect of the M&E framework should be gender sensitivity/mainstreaming.
- Support IITA management in the implementation of results-based performance management.
- Lead M&E activities.
- Establish, lead and coordinate an institute-wide M&E team.
- Provide management with adequate information for strategic decision making.
The candidate should hold a PhD, MBA or similar advanced degree in a relevant field.
- PhD degree, MBA or similar advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent track record in developing M&E frameworks and implementing results-based performance management.
- Proven leadership skills and sensitivity to cross-cultural and gender issues and ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English language are required with proficiency in other international languages viewed as a strong asset.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and time management skills.
- Commitment to gender equity and diversity.
- Knowledgeable in:
- performance analysis indicators
- logical framework approach
- theory-based evaluation
- formal survey techniques
- rapid appraisal methods and other participatory methods
- cost-benefit analysis and impact assessment approaches
- Conversant with database development, storage and management
Duty Station: IITA Headquarters, Ibadan, Nigeria.
General information: Initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications: Applications including covering letter, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/irs-online-application
Closing Date: 8th February 2013
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.